Sunday, July 10, 2011

Kiddie Lit

Since returning home from Space Camp, I've been keeping myself busy, busy, busy. Mainly with teaching Children's Literature at the University of Dubuque. I am an adjunct (which basically means a part-time teacher) professor in the education department, and it is a new challenge, which is good.

Of course, I couldn't let this class go without incorporating technology. First step is the Children's Lit wiki. I personally love wikis, and have become quite the expert at them in the past year, coordinating the Jefferson SINA wiki and my own personal electronic portfolio. Wikis are great because they are incredibly easy ways to create websites that many people can edit. Below is one of my favorite videos that just explains what a wiki is.


One of the limitations with wikis is that because they are simple, you don't have a lot of choices in terms of layout and other features. However, for a place to collect information, they do the job easily!

Another of my new favorites is Prezi. Prezi is an online presentation creator, kind of a powerpoint on "roids." It is interactive and allows you to add pictures, video, and graphics - plus interesting twists and turns. For teachers, an education account is available which allows use of features for free, which is great! I'm really hoping to use this with my 7th grade students this year. Check out the prezi I created for Children's Literature below... it contains all my notes for class.

My next big purchase is an iPad 2. The only thing that stopped me from buying one today was the fact that they weren't in stock. I cannot wait to see all of the features that will let me move forward in the classroom!

One of the topics I'm working on for class this week is children's literature and technology. Can't wait to explore this area!

No comments:

Post a Comment